St. Rocco’s Chapel, Jelsa
St. Rocco’s Chapel is at the western end of Jelsa, just off the main street. it was built in the second half of the 16th century, and was first mentioned in historical documents in 1601. The chapel and its belfry have been restored many times, and a complete renovation was carried out in 1999.
Over the altar is a painting depicting the Virgin Mary under a cloudy sky, with St. Anthony of Padua, who is holding a naked child, on her right, and St. Rocco kneeling in contemplation with his dog alongside watching him. The painting is attributed to Venetian artist Palma il Giovane (Palma the Younger, real name Iacopo Negretti, c. 1544 – 1628).